Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka for Kara-Miso and Shio Ramen and Green Tea Marshmallow Mochi

When people ask me for ramen house recommendations, Ukokkei Ramen Ron is on top of my list, followed by Hokkaido Ramen Santouka. This is my second post on the latter. For the first, click here. Since discovering Santouka has a branch in MOA, I've dined there twice. This is my report on my twin visit. 


On my first visit, I ordered the Kara-Miso Ramen, described as having as "spicy soybean paste flavor." When the bowl arrived, it smelled so delicious. It was as good as Ukokkei's, but it was not spicy enough for me, until I realized the heat was building up to a slow burn. I love the fresh onion stalks (just enough) and the the firm strips of bamboo shoots. The  pork belly was very flavorful. 


On my second visit I ordered the  Shio Ramen. A taste of  the ramen confirms what I've long suspected--I lean towards the clean tasting ranen like the salt-based ones. It was creamy, and the goodness of the pork comes through. This bowl made my heart sing. It has a tendency to be gamy but nothing that a dash of pepper or spice powder could fix. 


For dessert I ordered two mochi variants--green tea marshmallow and blueberry cheesecake. I love the former--the strong green taste balanced by the creamy marshmallows. Santouka's mochi are premium mcohi. I love the texture--better than the usual mochi. It was as soft as palitao.

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka
SM Mall of Asia, Ocean Drive
Diokno Boulevard, Pasay City

No comments:

Post a Comment