Saturday, December 7, 2013

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka for Roasted Pork Cheeks and Shio Ramen

I went to Singapore last month without planning anything, save for the hotels I would stay in. My first stop was at Pickering, and hours after I settled in I realized being spontaneous has its limits when it comes to solo travel. Good thing I downloaded the Singapore Tripadvisor app, and one of the hits for recommended eateries nearby was Ramen Santouka. No, I was not able to eat there, and so I vowed to do so next year.

A few weeks later I met up with a friend in Makati in what I would eventually realize as the Manila branch of Ramen Santouka. We waited twenty minutes before we were seated. I was ahead of Mel Tinagco and her family, who also waited for their turn. It appears the hype was not limited to the lion-state. Perhaps it's  true, if you want something bad enough, the universe conspires to make it happen.



I ordered the roasted pork cheeks and ramen shio. The broth was out of this world good. Very tasty and flavorful, and surprisingly clean. I love the porcine goodness of the cheeks, which tasted like it was cured, and the firm noodles. Would I be back? Yes, for the spicy ramen (kara-miso). Is it better than Ukokkei's? No, but it's a good second.


We also ordered the chicken gyoza. I wasn't expecting it to be good, but it was. This is the best version for me--very tasty even without the sauce.

Galila, mangan tila!

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka
GF Glorietta 4
Ayal Center, Makati
(+63) 02 728 1381

No comments:

Post a Comment