Thursday, February 20, 2014

Menya (Formerly Genya) Genki Tonkotsu Ramen House' s Pirikara Tonkotsu Special

Until recently, I didn't know there was a ramen house near my place. Thank goodness for the Internet, since it took some online research for me to discover Menya, formerly Genya, Genki Tonkotsu Ramen House (the change in name was because of change in ownership). Menya specializes in the tonkotsu ramen variant, regarded by many. This ramen involves boiling pork bones over an extended period of time, creating an opaque milky-white broth, very porky, and with a thin layer of fat on top.

I ordered the spiciest ramen in the menu--the pirikara (Japanese for spicy) tonkotsu special (menu price: P320.00). It was a  winner! Milky, clean, spicy, just apt for the cool weather. This is the clean spicy ramen that I love. They boil pork cutlets for 18 hours, and it shows in the flavorful, savory broth. My only quibble is the noodles, but the other elements: the char shiu (barbecued pork) and the mushrooms were spot-on. A few spoons into the dish, my sinuses were clearing. 


Menya Genki Ramen House completes my triumvirate of excellent ramen houses, along with Ukokkei and Santouka. After eating at Menya, I have now adjusted the rankings of what, to me, are the best ramen houses in the Manila/Pasay area:
1. Ukokkei Ramen Ron
2. Hokkaido Santouka Ramen
3. Menya Genki Tonkotsu Ramen House
4. Kokoro Ramenya
5. UCC

Be sure to order the green mango shake. The tart-sweet of the shake opened my palate for the ramen.

Happy eating!

Menya Genki Ramen House
Hobbies of Asia
Manila Ba Reclamation Area, Pasay

No comments:

Post a Comment