Tuesday, July 24, 2012

This is Not a Food Post

part of my quest for the best bulalo. this did not make the grade--the meat was fine,
but the marrow  was dry, and it  had a spoonful of fish paste too many.
During lunch in an all-you-can-eat buffet, I realized I've been blogging fairly regularly since March. While eating, I went over why I started this blog, the audience I intended for my posts, and my reluctance to label myself as a food blogger. 


It all started with the food pictures I posted on Facebook, many of which I took during my travels all over the country. They were quite a hit with my online friends, and pretty soon some of them encouraged me to come up with this blog. While I don't pretend to be a food critic, I'd like to believe I know the rudiments of what is good food. And I'm not really a snob--I don't discriminate based on ambiance, since I believe good food is everywhere. But I operate on a budget, so many of the restaurants I go to are those that a typical middle-class Pinoy can afford. And so this blog is mainly for them--my middle class countrymen, wherever they may be in this age of the diaspora. If you're familiar with my blog, you'd notice that there are things that I feel strongly about, like my romance with all things porcine, and my displeasure over the abuse of sugar in local dishes (please, leave my binagoongan and adobo salty, not sweet). And there are things I'm hopeless with, like cooking, as well as asking me where to eat in Manila (I'm working on the list--I'll get back to you on that). Basically I'm starting out--I'm barely in my fifth month--too green to call myself an expert. 


Again, one thing's sure, I love to eat. Like many of my readers. That, and my camera's fantastic--it does half the work for me. (It also helps that I have a good foundation in English, care of my parents, lola, and elementary and high school alma mater Ednas School). Let's start there. 


On my next post we'll be back to regular programming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment