Monday, August 5, 2013

Soi Restaurant for Beef in Red Curry, Crab Rice, and Thai Rice Noodles with Fish Balls

I've been to Thailand a couple of times, and let's just say I love their spicy cuisine. Unlike many Pinoys with delicate palates, I would like to believe I have a high-tolerance for spicy food. If you see someone breaking into a sweat, nursing a runny nose, and suppressing a cough, that's not me, LOL.

I'm wary of going to local Thai restaurants--I fear many would have tempered the authenticity out of their offerings. But one thing I learned is that you can request them to prepare the dish the way it was meant to be served. This lesson I gained when I first ordered the Beef in Red Curry. It was rich and adequately spicy, although it could be stellar with added heat. I love the greens and the baby corn. I paired it with Crab Rice, which didn't stint with crab meat. A tad salty, the rice was good on it's own. I made a mental note to pair the Beef in Red Curry with plain rice next time, to appreciate its complex flavor.

A few weeks later I returned, and this time I asked the staff not to temper the heat. It was superbly spicy, subtly sweet, creamy, with the unmistakable aroma of kaffir leaves--I love it!

I also ordered Thai Rice Noodle Soup with Fish Balls--light soup of flavorful fish balls and crab balls, and fresh fish. I love the crunch of the sprouts. Both dishes left my tongue on fire! 

Soi Restaurant
Ground Floor Robinson's Place
Ermita, manila
(+63) 02 523-1189

No comments:

Post a Comment