Monday, December 9, 2013

Top Picks from Kai: Spider Roll, California Maki, and Ebi Tempura

Until a few years ago, I wasn't crazy about Japanese food: I find it too subtle for my taste. I saw the light eventually when my friends introduced me to sashimi, and later I began to appreciate tempura and ramen. In yet another get-together with former schoolmates, we agreed to meet at Greenbelt's Kai Restaurant. I wasn't expecting much from a mall-based restaurant, but I'm glad to have been disabused of such notion with the following excellent dishes:


The California maki (P190). I'm usually wary with this, because it is trite and usually sloppily done, but Kai's was firm, and tasted delicate and exquisite. It was a delight bursting the fish roe by pressing them with my tongue against my teeth.


The exquisite spider roll (P380). I gravitate towards bold flavors but I like the creaminess and crunch of the soft shell crabs and the umami goodness of seaweed. This dish was the best for me. 


The delightful ebi (shrimp) tempura (P390). It was light and delicately battered.


The Chicken teriyaki (P350)  was so smoky and flavorful, with a taste profile that is so Pinoy. I love the accompanying veggies. It was a perfect ending for a wonderful meal.  


Kai 
Unit 1-112 Greenbelt 5
Legazpi Village, Makati
(+63) 02 757 5209


No comments:

Post a Comment